The Community Traffic Safety Team – made up of representatives from Orlando Police Department, Orange County Sheriff’s Office, Orange County Transportation Planning, FDOT, city of Orlando, Best Foot Forward, and law enforcement officials from Winter Park, Maitland, Ocoee, Winter Garden and Apopka – met on May 19 to discuss engineering and enforcement topics – as well as traffic crash data.
Here’s some of the important information you should know:
- Pedestrian crashes this year are up 15 percent compared to this same time last year.
- Pedestrian safety is a top priority for FDOT, which meetings monthly meetings with the District Secretary to brief on progress with the pedestrian safety movement.
- Hit-and- run accidents made up 26 percent of the total statewide traffic crashes in 2014.
- Rear-end crashes continue to be on the rise.
- Ocoee Police will host its DUI Checkpoints from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday over Memorial Day Weekend.
- OPD has five open crossing guard positions for the start of school in August.
- OCSO has 55 open crossing guard positions in August. OCSO crossing guards also are set to get a raise this summer.