For more than 21 years, Tony Calabro has been making Central Florida safer by doing…
Operation Best Foot Forward was out in full force on Aug. 26 for the start of school – reminding drivers that as our youngest pedestrians were excitedly walking and biking to and from class, it is especially important to use caution during our morning and afternoon commutes. And as many motorists obeyed the Florida Yield Law, there were 200 drivers who didn’t. Together, the Orlando Police Department (OPD) and Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) wrote 122 citations and gave 78 verbal warnings to motorists who failed to yield to the undercover office crossing the street, as part of the Operation Best Foot Forward’s August high-visibility crosswalk enforcement.
A few highlights from August’s enforcement was special guest Orange County Commissioner Bryan Nelson, who stopped by the Pine Hills & El Trio Way enforcement to chat with OCSO deputies and the media about pedestrian safety. And during the enforcement at Edgewater Drive and Shady Lane a young family stopped to tell police and BFF volunteers that they never cross at the intersection because drivers rarely yield. This time, they were able to cross with the undercover police officer.
The media also was out in full force with Back to School safety tips (check out WESH’s segment), with coverage from WESH, WKMG, WFTV, Fox35, News13, Orlando Sentinel, HobNob Orlando, Magic 1077 and Mayor Dyer’s blog. All that media coverage totaled an estimated $112,188 in earned media value for the enforcement.
The report below includes:
- TV media clips from WESH, WKMG, WFTV, Fox35 and News13
- Print, digital and radio media from Orlando Sentinel, Mayor Dyer’s Blog, HobNob Orlando and Magic 1077
- Social media engagement – Best Foot Forward and Bike/Walk Central Florida
- 208,626 impressions
- 6,199 warnings/citations to date
- The location of crosswalks in August’s Operation BFF
- Conway Road & Hargill Drive
- Conroy Road & Vineland Road
- Less Vista & Odyssey Middle School
- Mercy Drive & Kalwit Lane
- Woodbury Road & Mallory Circle
- Pine Hills Road & El Trio Way
- International Drive & Austrian Court
- Dr. Phillips Blvd. & Misley Drive
- Edgewater Drive & Shady Lane
- Lake Underhill Road & Palmer Street