Join MetroPlan Orlando on Sept. 22, 2022 to discuss proposed designs for changes to Rock…
Media Alert: Attention Orange County Drivers: School’s Out and So Are The Cops – June 13, 2018
June 13 Operation Best Foot Forward urges drivers to yield for people in crosswalks
Orlando, Fla. – School is out for summer, and so are 203,000 Orange County students on break. On Wednesday, June 13, Orlando Police Department (OPD) and Orange County Sheriff’s Office (OCSO) will be cracking down on crosswalks during Operation Best Foot Forward starting at 7:00 a.m.
Operation Best Foot Forward is a high-visibility, dual-enforcement action to remind drivers about Florida’s driver yield law. Undercover, plain-clothed officers cross the street at marked crosswalks, giving motorists enough time to yield. Motorists who fail to yield will be issued a warning or a ticket, the latter costing them $164 and three points on their license. To date, more than 7,566 citations and warnings have been issued by OPD and OCSO.
With 60 reported pedestrian fatalities in Orange County, 2017 was the deadliest year on record for people just trying to cross the street. Factors such as population growth, distracted driving and more vehicles on Central Florida roads are contributing to this grim trend.
Media are invited to Operation Best Foot Forward and will have the opportunity to speak to drivers, police officers and pedestrians at the crosswalks noted below.
Crosswalk Enforcement Schedule for Wednesday, June 13, 2018
- Columbia St. & Kuhl Ave. at Orlando Health Campus — TIME: 7:00 am to 8:00 am
- Pine Street, East of Rosalind Avenue (302 E. Pine Street) — TIME: 8:30 am to 9:30 am
- International Drive & Austrian Court — TIME: 9:30 am to 10:30 am
- N. Pine Hills Road & El Trio Way — TIME: 9:30 am to 10:30 am
- Waterford Chase Pkwy & Oak Chase Drive — TIME: 9:30 am to 10:30 am
- N. Summerlin Ave & E. Washington Street — TIME: 10:00 am to 11:00 am
- Upper Park Road & Oak Street (in Baldwin Park neighborhood) — TIME: 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
See PDF for More Detail[embeddoc url=”https://www.iyield4peds.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/06.05.18-Operation-BFFJune-13FINAL.pdf” height=”800px” download=”all”]
Click here for our fact sheet.