March Operations Remind Drivers to Stop for Pedestrians While Reports Emphasize the Dangers in Region for People Walking
As two major reports in March again named Central Florida the most dangerous region in…
Spearheaded by The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the Mobility Week campaign provides the perfect opportunity for municipalities, transportation agencies, non-profits and local businesses to promote and explore ways to reduce car-use, test new technologies or showcase how smart and sustainable mobility can bring economic, environmental as well as health benefits, among others.
All nine counties throughout Central Florida are invited to participate, which includes: Brevard, Flagler, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Sumter and Volusia Counties.
This year’s Mobility Week campaign theme is “What Moves You?” It encourages people to explore the many ways to move across town, around cities and throughout the region – and offers prizes and rewards for those participating. For example, Lake County is hosting a training on how to put a bike on a bus, LYNX is planning an outreach event and St. John’s River to Sea Alliance & River to Sea is organizing a Spooks and Spokes bike ride.
1) Have your workplace organize an event during Mobility Week. The specifics of the event are up to you and your workplace, as long as it’s related to promoting safe and sustainable transportation.
2) Does your workplace want to be involved but doesn’t have time to organize an event? No problem! Show what moves you by offering assistance to co-workers looking for alternatives to driving alone, or by helping a colleague create a commuter plan utilizing SunRail or Lynx.
1) Participate in the “Mix-it-up Challenge”. Logging trips can earn you points, badges and prizes. Click here to stay tuned for more information.
2) Attend one or more of the events. To see the full event schedule, click here.
3) Feeling ambitious? Organize your own event, activity or training! Get out there and promote walking, biking, or any other form of transit that gets you moving.