Best Foot Forward staff and steering committee members express their “thanks” and recognize Osceola County…
Are you passionate about biking and walking in Central Florida? Do you have strong communication skills that allow you to connect with diverse audiences? Are you eager to use those skills to support a healthy community environment? Then BWCF wants to hear from you. We currently have an opening for a Community Outreach & Presentation Specialist (part-time, contract) in Osceola County. This person will represent BWCF and the Best Foot Forward coalition for pedestrian safety at community and public engagements.
You can review the job description below. If you think you are a good fit, please submit a resume and cover letter to Barbara Giles: [email protected]
Please note that the position in Osceola County is only for bilingual applicants who speak both Spanish and English fluently.
Contract Position Summary
Title: Community Outreach & Presentation Specialist
Location: Osceola County
Reports to: Bike/Walk Central Florida Program Manager
Summary: Seeking person to fill contract position to provide outreach and presentation support by educating the public and professionals through (a) representing Bike/Walk Central Florida (BWCF) at community and public engagements in Osceola County (b) conducting presentations (c) tabling at local events and (d) documenting activities.
- Make public presentations to groups, ranging from youth groups, neighborhood associations and rotary clubs to seniors; explain bike and pedestrian laws and related BWCF programs to the public; respond effectively to citizen inquiries and prepare and maintain a variety of reports, and schedules. Objective is a minimum of two community outreach activities per month – presentations or tabling events.
- Table events such as health fairs, back to school, and community days.
- Responsible for identifying and scheduling presentations and events.
- Responsible for collecting the names and emails of people interested in BWCF programs and enter information into database; Follow-up as requested.
- Document and prepare reports of outreach activities.
- Distribute BWCF educational materials to local agencies, partners, businesses and community organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Required Skills and Experience
- Commitment to bicycling and walking, and those programs supporting a healthy community environment
- Spanish speaker; Lives, works and/or extremely knowledgeable about Osceola County.
- Excellent presentation skills; Must be an engaging public speaker who can connect with a variety of audiences and possess consensus-building skills
- Close attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Ability to track, meet and maintain deadlines
- Ability to work with a diverse team to ensure compliance with all requirements and funding restrictions
- Enthusiastic, high-energy, resourceful and proactive thinker with a sense of urgency.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Work a flexible schedule including weekends, weekdays, evenings (hours/days may be adjusted as needed) because many of the community and business groups hold meetings during these times
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout Osceola County
- Possess a Florida Driver License
- Successful completion of a criminal background check
Hourly Fee: $16.50/hour
Incentives: $40 for each presentation completed
$30 for each tabling event completed
To be considered:
- A current resume (attached as PDF recommended).
- A cover letter highlighting your qualifications (attached as a separate document – PDF recommended)
Selected candidates will be asked to present to the Bike/Walk Central Florida team.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Barbara Giles: [email protected]
About Bike/Walk Central Florida and the Best Foot Forward program
Bike/Walk Central Florida, a 501(c)(3) organization, promotes walkable and bikeable communities through raising public awareness and advocating for safe, active transportation, and recreation by:
- Educating walkers, cyclists, motorists and transit riders about Florida’s road laws, their rights, responsibilities, and courteous behaviors;
- Supporting transportation corridor planning and design using Complete Streets principles;
- Encouraging the development and maintenance of trails throughout Florida;
- Promoting a built environment that supports physical, environmental and economic health, provides for safe transportation choices, and encourages interaction among citizens of all ages, incomes and abilities.
BWCF is responsible for administering, operating, and implementing the Best Foot Forward for pedestrian safety program. The initiative is to reduce pedestrian deaths and injuries in Metro Orlando by getting drivers to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and getting pedestrians to be more careful crossing the street. More than a campaign, this “Triple-E” behavioral change process seeks to create lasting social good through the consistent and persistent application of low-cost engineering, community education, and high-visibility enforcement.
The Best Foot Forward coalition includes MetroPlan Orlando, Orange County Government, Osceola County Government, the City of Orlando, the City of Kissimmee, the City of St. Cloud, Orange County Public Schools, Osceola County School Districts, Orlando Health, LYNX, Winter Park Health Foundation, the Florida Department of Transportation and the Florida Departments of Health in Orange and Osceola counties. To learn more, go to http://bikewalkcentralflorida.org/
Bike/Walk Central Florida is managed by Day Communications, Inc., a full-service, integrated marketing communications firm.[embeddoc url=”https://www.iyield4peds.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019-Osceola-County-Community-Outreach-Contract-Job-Description.pdf”]