As students throughout Central Florida prepare for a return to the classroom, local law enforcement…
Best Foot Forward (BFF) Steering Committee members in Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties met last month with one goal in mind: to identify troublesome crosswalks to start monitoring, enforcing and engineering to make them safer for people crossing. The three steering committees selected 62 crosswalks that will receive some extra attention in 2021 via the BFF for pedestrian safety program.
Representatives on the steering committee come from more than 30 organizations and agencies including County/City engineers and planners, police officers, sheriff’s deputies, health department and public school officials, MetroPlan Orlando planners, Orlando Health, LYNX and Bike/Walk Central Florida representatives and more. These dedicated committee members put their heads together to narrow down the list for the coming year.
They were looking for crosswalks near schools, LYNX bus stops or SunRail stations, ones around high-crash corridors (or ones with a large number of complaints) and ones with engineering elements or countermeasures already planned. They gave preferential treatment to crosswalks with no signal (often in a mid-block location), because those can be the most dangerous. It’s important for city engineers and law enforcement to work together to choose crosswalks that both agree need monitoring/enforcement.
Best Foot Forward law enforcement steering committee members make sure crosswalks are “enforceable.” Enforceable crosswalks meet two important criteria: 1) there’s a safe place to pull over drivers to ticket them, 2) drivers must be able to see the pedestrian in the crosswalk and have enough time to safely stop.
After the three meetings and a few more conversations, the following crosswalks were agreed upon for 2021:
City of Orlando
- Edgewater Dr. & Shady Lane Dr. (RRFB)
- Michigan St. & Cayman Way
- Metrocenter Blvd. & Midblock near Metrowest Blvd.
- Virginia Dr. & Ferris Ave.
- Miller St. & S. Lucerne Terrace
- Bumby Ave. and Virginia Dr. *
- Mercy Dr. & Kalwit Ln. – (2019 moved location) (RRFB) *
- 458 W. Livingston St. (mid-block near Lynx stop) (RRFB) *
- Livingston St. & Lee Ave. *
- Savannah Pl. & Stonewall Jackson Rd. *
- Westwood Blvd. Midblock near I-Drive
- Pine Hills Rd. & El Trio Way (RRFB)
- Alafaya Trail & University Blvd.
- Apopka-Vineland Rd., north of Lake St. (11947 S Apopka Vineland Rd.)
- Pine Hills Rd & Figwood Ln.
- Rio Grande Ave. & 40th St.
- Oak Ridge Rd. & Wingate Dr.
- International Dr. & Samoan Ct.
- Avalon Park West & Cygnus Dr.
- Waterford Lakes Pkwy. & Coquina Rocks
- Rio Grande Ave. & 45th St. *
- International Drive & Austrian Court (RRFB) *
- Hunter’s Creek Blvd. & Velleux Dr.
City of Kissimmee
- Dyer Blvd. & Kensington Rd.
- S. Thacker Ave. & W. Ernest St.
- N. Thacker Ave. & Kissimmee Tr. (2310 N. Thacker Ave.)
- W. Donegan Ave. & W. Carroll St.
- Broadway & W. Dakin Ave
- Mill Run Blvd & Mill Slough Blvd
- Stewart Ave. & Church St.
- 898 N. Hoagland Blvd. at the trail, just S. of McClellan *
- 311 W. Oak St. *
- Neptune Rd. & Tohopekaliga Ave. *
- Dyer Blvd. & Carroll St. *
City of St. Cloud
- Old Canoe Creek Rd. & 5th Street.
- Mississippi Ave. & E. 10th Street.
- 17th St. & Michigan Ave.
- 17th St. & Indiana Ave.
- 17th St. & Delaware Ave.
- Lakeshore Blvd. & Maryland Ave. *
- Columbia Ave. & Lakeshore Blvd. *
- Donegan Ave. & Coral Ave. (RRFB)
- Doverplum Ave. & San Remo Rd. (RRFB)
- Buenaventura Blvd. & Briarwood Dr.
- 3200 Rolling Oaks Blvd (Mid-block by Target)
- 225 Celebration Pl.
- Florida Pkwy. & Buttonwood Dr.
- Celebration Ave. & Lake Evalyn (Town Hall)
- Celebration Ave. & Jeater Bend Dr.
- 3233 Polynesian Isle Blvd., Indian Wells Recreation Area (RRFB)
- Koa St. & Laurel Ave.*
- Florida Pkwy. & Royal Palm Dr. *
- Bear Lake Road & McNeil Road
- International Parkway at the Westin Hotel (RRFB)
- Dike Road & Lake Howell High School
- SR 436 & Laurel St.
- Longwood Markham Rd and Via Bonita St.
- Snow Hill Rd. & Jacobs Trail
- Williamson Road at Seminole Wekiva Trail Crossing (RRFB) *
- Lake of the Woods Blvd. and N. Carolwood Blvd. *
City of Casselberry
- Crosswalks under review
(* Data collection, monitoring and education only)2021 Crosswalk Map