Eight agencies to enforce Florida’s driver yield laws in two-day Operation Best Foot Forward Before…
That’s right. Best Foot Forward is expanding. When the Triple E program launched in May 2012, the City of Orlando, Orange County, MetroPlan Orlando and LYNX targeted 15 marked crosswalks to be piloted for yield rate improvements. With targeted enforcement, education outreach and low-cost engineering, yield rates improved from 12% to 48% on roads posted at 35 mph.
Because of this success, the BFF coalition has boosted the number of crosswalks to be observed and added higher speed roads. Crosswalks are chosen based on location such as proximity to schools, bus stops, near SunRail, the number of pedestrian complaints, crashes, and scheduled engineering improvements. This past week, Orange County School crossing guards have been at these intersections taking baseline yield rate measurements of cars yielding to pedestrians, in preparation for Operation Best Foot Forward on Oct. 15. Check out the list of intersections to be observed:
Intersections at Roads posted 35 mph and less
- E Central Blvd. & Lake Ave.
- E Rollins St. & Camden Rd.
- Lake Baldwin Ln. & Almond Ave.
- Mercy Dr & Kalwit Ln
- Lake Underhill Rd & Palmer St
- Virginia Dr & Orlando Urban Trail (Dinky Line)
- Waterford Chase & Oak Chase
- Mark Twain & Recreation Center
Intersections on Roads posted 40 mph and more
- S Conway Rd & Hargill Dr
- S. Semoran Blvd. & Curry Ford Rd.
- E Michigan St & N Orange Ave
- Metrowest Blvd & S Kirkman Rd
- Leevista Blvd S-of Lake Avon Dr
- Conroy Rd & Vineland Rd
- L B McLeod Rd & S John Young Pkwy
- W Colonial Dr & N Orange Blossom Trl
- I-4 WB Off Ramp & W Colonial Dr
- S Semoran Blvd & SR 408
- Oakridge & Magic Way
- Goldenrod & Cady Way Trail Crossing
- Landstar & Misley
- Landstar & Brook Hollow-Island Cove Dr
- Forsyth & Wheeled Coach
- International & Samoan Ct
- Pine Hills & Bonnie Brae