Position: Crosswalk Field Data Collection
Enjoy flexibility and variety in your work? Would you like to make extra money? Best Foot Forward is looking for Crosswalk Data Collectors to assist in safety research by recording driver and pedestrian behavior at specific crosswalk locations in Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties.
Summary: Seeking Crosswalk Data Collectors to assist in research by recording driver and pedestrian behavior at crosswalk locations.
This independent contractor position is ideal for someone who works part time, recently retired, in school, getting a degree in Planning, Engineering, or Environmental Sciences, looking to boost resume experience, or passionate about making our roadways equitable, accessible and safe. Appropriate training is required to ensure consistency across data collection observers.
Driver yielding behavior refers to drivers yielding to pedestrians at midblock and intersection crosswalks. Collecting data on driver yielding behavior can indicate the degree of safety that pedestrians experience when crossing the street.
DESCRIPTION FOR FIELD DATA COLLECTORS
- Field Data Collectors are assigned between six to twelve crosswalks to collect driver yielding data over the course of four weeks. The number of crosswalks assigned is dependent on your schedule and the driving distance to the crosswalks. The estimated hours to collect data at five crosswalk locations ranges from 12 to 16 hours over seven working days.
- Field Data Collectors are required to complete a training session to include a how to use the data collection forms and the data collectors responsibilities.
- Field data collection is scheduled during daylight hours, during the weekday, and when the traffic volumes are highest.
- Collect quantitative and qualitative observations about the vehicle and motorist behavior.
- Must deliver (scan and email) data collection sheets to Bike/Walk Central Florida with video or photo documentation within 24 hours of completing field data collection.
- Independent contractor position.
- Reside in reasonable driving distance of one of the field data collection hubs in Orange, Osceola or Seminole Counties.
- Required to pass Data Collector field training test in a timely manner.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable transportation, and valid automobile insurance.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, and physically cross the street for approximately two to four hours of field data collection.
- Typical weekday AM/PM peak periods: 8:00 to 11:00 am and 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
Contract Hourly Fee: $15.00/hour plus mileage
To be considered, must submit:
- A current resume
- A cover letter expressing your interest in assisting with this ongoing research and behavior change program
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Kayla Mitchell: [email protected]
About Best Foot Forward for Pedestrian Safety Program
Best Foot Forward for pedestrian safety program is administered by the local non-profit Bike/Walk Central Florida and first launched in Orange County and the City of Orlando in 2012. It expanded to Osceola County, Kissimmee and St. Cloud in 2017 and Seminole County in October 2019.
Best Foot Forward is now made up of some 38 coalition partners across Central Florida. Foot Forward was created to reverse the conflict between pedestrians and drivers by focusing on one specific behavior change – getting more drivers to yield to pedestrians in marked crosswalks as Florida law requires.
More than a campaign, Best Foot Forward is a behavior change-based program designed to improve road safety through consistent and persistent education, high-visibility crosswalk enforcement, and low-cost engineering at marked crosswalks in close proximity to elementary schools and LYNX bus stops, in urban areas and cross-sections of low and high-speed roads.
Initiated and administered by Bike/Walk Central Florida, the Best Foot Forward coalition includes:
Region-wide: MetroPlan Orlando, the Florida Department of Transportation, the Florida Department of Health, LYNX
Orange County: Orange County Government, City of Orlando, Orange County Sheriff’s Office, Orlando Police Department, Orange County Public Schools, Orange County Walk-Ride-Thrive, Orlando Stops, Orlando Health
Osceola County: Osceola County Government, City of Kissimmee, City of St. Cloud, Osceola County Sheriff’s Office, Kissimmee Police Department, St. Cloud Police Department, School District of Osceola County
Seminole County: Seminole County Government, City of Casselberry, City of Longwood, City of Oviedo, City of Sanford, City of Winter Springs, Seminole County Sheriff’s Office, Altamonte Springs Police Department, Casselberry Police Department, Longwood Police Department, Oviedo Police Department, Sanford Police Department, Winter Springs Police Department, Seminole County Public Schools, Seminole County School Crossing Guards
To learn more, visit www.iyield4peds.org.
Bike/Walk Central Florida contracts with Day Communications, Inc., a full-service, integrated marketing communications firm to manage Best Foot Forward, the largest grassroots pedestrian safety behavior change program in Florida.