When the Triple E program launched in May 2012, the City of Orlando, Orange County, MetroPlan Orlando and LYNX targeted 15 marked crosswalks to be piloted for yield rate improvements. With targeted enforcement, education, outreach and low-cost engineering, yield rates improved from 12 percent to 48 percent on roads posted at 35 mph.
Because of this success, the BFF coalition has boosted the number of crosswalks to be observed and added higher speed roads. Crosswalks are chosen based on location such as proximity to schools, bus stops, near SunRail, the number of pedestrian complaints, crashes, and scheduled engineering improvements. This past week, Orange County School crossing guards have been at these intersections taking baseline yield rate measurements of cars yielding to pedestrians, in preparation for Operation Best Foot Forward on Oct. 15. Check out the list of intersections to be observed:
- Central Blvd. & Lake Avenue
- Rollins & Camden Road
- Lake Baldwin & Almond Avenue
- Conway Road & Hargill Drive
- Semoran Blvd. & Curry Ford Road
- Edgewater Drive & Shady Lane Drive
- Kirkman Road & Major Blvd.
- International Drive & Universal Blvd.
- Mercy Drive & Kalwit Lane
- Semoran Blvd. & SR 408 (SB 436 to WB 408 on ramp)
- Lake Underhill Road & Palmer Street
- Michigan Street & S. Orange Avenue
- Conroy Road & Vineland Road
- Lee Vista Blvd. & Odyssey Middle School
- Colonial Drive & N. Orange Blossom Trail
Orange County Intersections
- Pine Hills Road & El Trio Way
- North Pine Hills Road, north of North Lane
- Woodbury Road & Mallory Circle
- Oleander Drive E. of Tucker Avenue
- Goldenrod & Cady Way Trail Crossing
- Phillips Blvd. & Sandberry Blvd.
- Silver Star Road & Kingsland Avenue
- Pine Hills Road & Figwood Lane
- Oak Ridge Road & Texas Avenue (Mid-block crosswalk)
- Gatlin Avenue & Kennedy Avenue
- Landstar Blvd. & Brook Hollow Drive
- International Drive & Austrian Ct.
- Universal Blvd. & Rosen Hospitality College
- Sea Harbor Drive & Sea World Drive